PART ONE: What Exactly is an Organic Rug?
While “natural fiber” rugs are readily available, the way they are marketed can be misleading: though they are called “natural,” there is no guarantee that they are free of harmful chemicals. You may think that buying a wool or cotton rug means that the rug is all natural. However, the raw materials in conventional rugs are processed with chemicals and the yarn in the rugs is most often dyed with chemicals.
Consider the following:
- Rug materials: Choose organic and avoid synthetic materials like polyester and polypropylene.
- Rug backing. If the rug has a backing, look for natural backing and non-toxic glue.
- Dyes. Avoid synthetic dyes.
- Finishes. Avoid rugs with added coatings such as “waterproof” and “stain resistant” and "flame retardant", which are often made of chemicals which can off-gas.
Certified organic rugs are guaranteed to be free of harmful chemical additives found in conventional "natural" rugs.
PART TWO: Why Buy an Organic Rug?
Healthier product for your home:
We spend up to 90% of our time indoors, and according to the American EPA Report on Indoor Air Quality, indoor air quality can be between two and five times worse than outdoor air quality. Our lungs as well as our skin can absorb chemicals, so it only makes sense to try to create a healthier environment indoors. An Organic Weave rug is an ideal choice, whether you are just hoping to improve the air quality in your living environment, or whether you are designing a natural home or searching for hypoallergenic home furnishings.
Our wool is sourced from organically farmed sheep, who are managed without being fed modified foods or dipped in chemicals that can hurt the animals as well as the people who care for them. Organic management prevents chemicals from getting into the environment, and gives farmland time to regenerate naturally. Organic herds are not allowed to exceed the natural carrying capacity of the land, preventing the devastating environmental impact of overgrazing. Organic wool is fully biodegradable, and therefore doesn’t add anything to landfills.
Our cotton is farmed organically, which means there are no pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, fungicides, or any other chemicals.
How do I know Organic Weave is really organic?
Organic Weave is fully accredited by GOTS - The Global Organic Textile Standard, an international body which imposes stringent guidelines. Our accreditation means that our entire production process is monitored – from the first cultivation of our fibers, to the final dyeing and washing stages of our process. Only non toxic materials are allowed by GOTS. Our certification is a promise that we:
- Source raw materials from traceable, certified organic producers
- Clean or scour raw materials using biodegradable cleansing agents
- Use water in a sustainable way throughout processing
- Use no synthetic agents or oils in our spinning process
- Dye our yarn using Global Organic Textile Standard approved dye stuffs
- Finish our rugs with no harmful chemicals or detergents
For more information about GOTS, please visit http://www.global-standard.org/