Certified organic rugs are rugs made with natural materials that pass a certification process to verify that theys do not contain toxic materials.
Organic Weave rugs are certified organic by GOTS.
Only non toxic materials are allowed by GOTS. Our certification is a promise that we:
- Source raw materials from traceable, certified organic producers
- Clean or scour raw materials using biodegradable cleansing agents
- Use water in a sustainable way throughout processing
- Use no synthetic agents or oils in our spinning process
- Dye our yarn using Global Organic Textile Standard approved dye stuffs
- Finish our rugs with no harmful chemicals or detergents
While “natural fiber” rugs are readily available, the way they are marketed can be misleading: though they are called “natural,” there is no guarantee that they are free of harmful chemicals. You may think that buying a wool or cotton rug means that the rug is all natural. However, the raw materials in conventional rugs are processed with chemicals and the yarn in the rugs is most often dyed with chemicals.
Consider the following:
- Rug materials: Choose organic and avoid synthetic materials like polyester and polypropylene.
- Rug backing. If the rug has a backing, look for natural backing and non toxic glue.
- Dyes. Avoid synthetic dyes.
- Finishes. Avoid rugs with built in stain protectors or coatings such as “waterproof” and “stain resistant” and "flame retardant", which are often made from chemicals which can off-gas.