Wall to Wall Carpet Guide
Wall to Wall Wool Carpet Guide
Wall to wall carpet is popular due to its warmth, softness and sound absorption. It is also easy to maintain, durable and available in a variety of colors, patterns and textures. Installation of wall to wall carpet requires a professional.
Best Suited for bedrooms, halls, family rooms, and living areas.
Not Suited for areas that will be in constant contact with moisture like kitchens and bathrooms, since cleaning can be problematic, and carpet does not resist the build-up of mold and mildew like other materials.
- Select from our styles or provide us with a sample style to be reproduced.
- Custom colors are available.
- Available with organic cotton backing or with no backing.
- Delivery by courier is typically 8 to 14 weeks, depending on the size/technique.
- Rush service is available for a surcharge
- Prices start at $22 per square foot.
WHY ORGANIC CARPET?
Most wall to wall carpeting is mass produced, machine made in synthetic fibers. Choosing Organic Handmade Wool Carpeting has many benefits, including:
- Soft and comfortable underfoot
- Renewable resource & biodegradable
- Filters dust and allergens
- Durable and long-lasting; wears well, resilient, retains original texture
- Flameproof, abrasion resistant
- Excellent sound absorption and insulation
- Easily cleaned (but not as easily as synthetics) and maintained
- No chemical stain protectors or moth proofing treatment
- Superior performance: wool is naturally soil resistant, flame retardant and anti-static
- Chemical free dyes - no harmful chemicals in your home
- No odor/off-gassing
- Support artisan made production
- made of yarn that is looped at the same height and left uncut
- most common type of carpet
- available in a variety of heights from short to shaggy
- very durable under heavy use
- easy to clean
- soil and spills remain on surface
Cut pile (Plush, Saxony)
- made by shearing off the tops of level-looped pile
- cleaner, more refined appearance than looped pile
- may show foot prints when walked on
Shag or short shag
- tufted yarn that is not tightly twisted
- long pile that is cut pile
- will show dirt faster than shorter pile
- may shed more than cut or loop carpets
You have the option to order undyed (ivory white color) wool carpet or organically dyed carpet.
Handtufted with a secondary backing made of organic cotton. The wool fibers on the surface of the carpet are held place with a non-toxic glue which does not off gas VOC's (volatile organic compounds).
*Measure the length and the width of your room in feet.
*Multiply the length and width to get the total square feet requirement
*Add 10% for “wastage/overage”
*Keep in mind that the width of the roll will be 10ft, and in rooms larger than 10’, a seam will be necessary.
We can arrange delivery to your home, or to a commercial address. We will discuss this with you when you place your order.
Handtufted wall to wall carpet can be installed in two ways:
- Direct glue down (no underpad)
- With tackles technique (no glue, with underpad). Before a carpet is laid, tackless stripping, called “tackstrips” for short, is nailed around the perimeter of the floor. These thin strips of wood have short tack points that stick upward to grab onto the carpet’s backing. One edge of the carpet is hooked onto the protruding points of the stripping, and then the carpeting is stretched tight, hooked onto the tackless strips at the opposite wall, and then trimmed. Seams between widths are joined from behind with adhesive seaming tape.
We suggest that you find a competent installer that has experience with wool carpeting and has access to a low/no VOC seaming tape and adhesives. Competent carpet installers are capable of making seams, with or without sewing.
In the US, this organization has installers for hire: https://cfiinstallers.org/
We recommend the use of an eco-friendly underpad. Underpad makes the carpet softer underfoot, reduces noise and prolongs the life of the carpet.
Maintenance & Cleaning
NOTE: All wool carpets shed. Shedding is most common is the first few months of installation. You may notice small fibers in your vacuum cleaner which is typical and is no cause for alarm.
- spot clean and remove stains with an eco-friendly carpet stain remover, approved for wool carpets. Do not rub vigorously, lightly blot with clean, white cloth instead
- vacuum weekly without a beater bar vacuum which may damage (fuzzing) the surface of the wool carpet
- shampoo once or twice a year professionally – use a professional cleaning company
- clip any loose tufts, do not pull
Our wall to wall carpet is suitable for residential use.
It is necessary to have proper installation, maintenance, storage, handling and professional cleaning of products to qualify for warranty.
Our products are made by hand. The purchaser acknowledges that this is a natural product made with natural wool, natural dyes, and backing system. Therefore, the warranty does not include:
- Natural variances in color, shade and texture, from target sample, which are inherent in the manufacturing and materials used.
- Matting, crushing, soiling, staining or other changes in appearance.
- Shedding of wool products, which is a normal process of any natural fiber and will minimize over time.
- Changes in color of the carpet over time can be expected as this product is dyed with all natural dyes.