Wall to Wall Carpet Guide
- Made to order + made to measure product
- Select from our styles or provide us with a sample style to be reproduced.
- Available in custom colors.
- Available with organic cotton backing or with no backing.
- Delivery by courier to your residential or commercial address is typically 12 to 14 weeks, depending on the size and the technique.
- Rush service is available for a surcharge.
- Prices start at $22 per square foot.
WHY ORGANIC CARPET?
Most wall to wall carpeting is mass produced, machine made in synthetic fibers. Choosing Organic Handmade Wool Wall to Wall Carpeting has many benefits, including:
- performance: wool is naturally soil resistant, flame retardant and anti-static
- no harmful chemicals in your home
- no odor/off-gassing
- renewable resource & biodegradable
- supporting artisan made production
Wall to wall carpet is popular due to its warmth, softness and sound absorption. It is also easy to maintain, durable and available in a variety of colors, patterns and textures. Installation of wall to wall carpet requires a professional.
Best suited for:
- family rooms
- living areas
Not suited for areas that will be in constant contact with moisture like kitchens and bathrooms, since cleaning can be problematic, and carpet does not resist the build-up of mold and mildew like other materials.
Why Organic Wool?
- soft and comfortable underfoot
- natural material from rapidly renewable resource (sheep)
- filters dust and allergens
- durable and long-lasting; wears well, resilient, retains original texture
- flameproof, abrasion resistant
- excellent sound absorption and insulation
- easily cleaned and maintained
- no chemical stain protectors or moth proofing treatments
Carpet Styles & Construction
- made of yarn that is looped at the same height and left uncut
- most common type of carpet
- very durable under heavy use
- easy to clean
- soil and spills remain on surface
Cut pile (Plush, Saxony)
- made by shearing off the tops of level-looped pile
- cleaner, more refined appearance than looped pile
- may show foot prints when walked on
- tufted yarn that is not tightly twisted
- long pile that is cut pile
- will show dirt faster than shorter pile
- may shed more than cut or loop carpets
The wool fibers are locked into place with a natural adhesive that is derived from the rubber tree and then the carpet is finished with secondary backing of organic cotton.and finished with an organic secondary backing. This natural rubber glue (FSC latex glue) wdoes not off gas VOC's (volatile organic compounds).
You have the option to order undyed (ivory white color) wool carpet or organically dyed carpet.
- Measure the length and the width of your room in feet.
- Multiply the length and width to get the total square feet requirement
- Add 10% for “wastage”
- Keep in mind that the width of the roll will be 10ft, and in rooms larger than 10’, a seam will be necessary.
Delivery: We can arrange delivery to your home, or to a commercial address. We will discuss this with you when you place your order.
Installation: Handtufted wall to wall carpet can be installed in two ways:
- Direct glue down (no underpad)
- With tackles technique (no glue, with underpad). Before a carpet is laid, tackless stripping, called “tackstrips” for short, is nailed around the perimeter of the floor. These thin strips of wood have short tack points that stick upward to grab onto the carpet’s backing. One edge of the carpet is hooked onto the protruding points of the stripping, and then the carpeting is stretched tight, hooked onto the tackless strips at the opposite wall, and then trimmed. Seams between widths are joined from behind with adhesive seaming tape.
We suggest that you find a competent installer that has experience with handmade wool carpeting and has access to a low/no VOC seaming tape and adhesives. Competent carpet installers are capable of making seams, with or without sewing.
In the US, this organization has installers for hire: https://cfiinstallers.org
We recommend the use of an eco-friendly underpad. Underpad makes the carpet softer and more resilient underfoot, reduces noise, provides a little thermal insulation, and prolongs the carpet life.
Maintenance & Cleaning:
- spot clean and remove stains with an eco-friendly carpet stain remover, approved for wool carpets. Do not rub vigorously, lightly blot with clean, white cloth instead.
- vacuum weekly without a beater bar vacuum which may damage the surface of the wool carpet.
- shampoo once or twice a year professionally – use a professional cleaning company.
- clip any loose tufts, do not pull.
- NOTE: All wool carpets shed a little, which will in no way be noticeable in the appearance or durability of the carpet. You may see small fibers in your vacuum cleaner which is typical and is no cause for concern.